Tuesday, October 27, 2009

An Open Letter to My Knees

Dear Knees,

There is no better way to begin than by saying I'm sorry. There is no excuse for the way I treated you this weekend, and I apologize. You have been faithful friends and worked more than your share every day of my life, and I have continued to take you for granted.

This weekend, we were only supposed to hike a short time. I honestly did not expect to have extra time to spend on the mountain, and I should have brought my trekking poles to be prepared, just in case. But when the opportunity to hike for three hours came into view, I took it and tried to maximize it, without thinking of how you felt.

On the way up, we were fine - you didn't complain at all! And it is my fault that I refused to pace us better. I was simply trying to get more done in the time we had. I knew we could descend faster, and the extra time we spent at the top was to give you a rest as well as to enjoy the view of Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak. However, that caused our descent time to be too fast, and you paid the price.

Knees, we've been together 37 years and I need you. We've seen so many amazing places and that wouldn't have happened without you every step of the way. Please be patient with me as I adjust to changes and learn to care for you better. Thank you for hanging with me for this long - may we have many more adventures ahead!

Humbly,
me

No comments:

Post a Comment