The truth is, a lot of what I write in my journal isn't fit to post here. Rambling thoughts that may depress you. Hurt feelings not appropriate to share. Those of you who know and love me even though, you are patient, amazing people. Those of you who don't know me that well yet, give it time.... ;)
I've posted some on the dailiness of life here (as opposed to the weekliness or monthliness) and would like to share some more photos and thoughts with you about that.
Above is a long-shot of our area, taken from a friend's house who lives near Ruby's school. Our roof is just to the left of the grey and white apartment buildings with red roofs. I like this shot because it shows the ocean, and then the peninsula and even a little of city center in the background.
Below is a very typical roadside shot, with the blue plastic chairs of a local restaurant and random vehicles in the background. Some of you will recognize the roadside carpenter's handiwork near the school. These beds are model 01 and model 02, and I noticed this week they have added a model 03 since this photo was taken.
Henry and I spend a lot of time together since Ruby started Kindergarten this fall. He recently requested that I cut his hair, so we occupied most of a morning moving around the house, getting the job done in several locations.
Henry also loves to help in almost any way he can, and the kitchen is no exception. We recently made some gluten-free goodies for one of Ruby's school events:
Henry loves riding in the bajaj! Here I am on the way to help out with swim lessons at Ruby's school. Having one vehicle has forced us to communicate better and use alternate transportation when necessary, both of these are good!
And chilling out on our new bench and cushions!
Ruby recently had International Day at her school. Eleven countries were represented in Kindergarten alone!
A millipede we encountered recently...Len's finger for scale. These black and red ones are harmless, but there is a blue/grey variety that is just as big and has a nasty stinger you don't want to encounter.
This is a funny wine box warning Len's dad found recently at a restaurant. Looking down our road, I can see where the wildly careening bajaj could be a problem for the person who drinks and walks on the road.
And as a parting gift, here is a shot of a Zanzibar fish market. One of the ways I know I've lived here awhile is that when I pass a table of fish like this, I check to see what they have. Once a week or so, I'll buy something if it looks nice and fresh. :)
Photos in this post by Ron Devaisher.











So good to see a post! Love seeing the pictures...brings back lots of memories from my one short week in Dar. Could have done without the fish picture though!!! :) Hope you all are doing well. I've often wondered what the transition has been like for you and your family.
ReplyDelete