Sunday, March 6, 2011

Lazy Day

After working for what felt like the entire month of February, Len decided it was time for a day of rest. Being a submissive wife, I agreed.

We drove about an hour to a boat, which took us here:
 
We arrived in the late afternoon, just in time for a delicious dinner and this:
In the morning, we woke to this:

I don't have a good bird photo, but want to say that the birdwatching was crazy good.

These coral rock formations appear at low tide. You can walk on top of them and they don't break, yet the ocean sculpts them into the most amazing art:

I went for a little pre-kid nature walk to map out a route so the kids could see the best of whatever was on display.

I think this is some kind of jellyfish. Any insight is welcome.

Sea Urchins. Note: they are very sharp, and if stepped on will make your foot bleed profusely for several minutes before the calming effect of the salt water kicks in.

Various jellyfish, anemones and corals visible just under water at low tide:


And my favorites, the starfish:

They were a big hit with the young'uns too!



Ruby wanted to 'rescue' the starfish, so she put them all back in the water.

Later, we held to-the-death crab fights. Can you guess who won?

Just kidding. Do you think I put my fingers anywhere near those pinchers??!

We've had an eventful couple of months, for better or worse, and our little 24-hour retreat was a great way to hit 'restart' for the week ahead.

4 comments:

  1. These are fantastic. What a treat for your family :) Glad you got to enjoy this time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have thought I'd see a pic of Len relaxing on a hammock! Fabulous! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Just wow. So cool.

    ReplyDelete