Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Jan Rutkowski Would Be Proud

It turns out that the six years of French language study I took back in the day was not completely in vain. There are two women here from Mali whom I have had a bit of difficulty connecting with. They are always dressed beautifully, hair done, and maybe I feel a little inferior from the start with them. They seem so in their element here and I can barely remember how to say hello (hujambo), thank you (asante), and no worries (hakuna matada). I hope smiles are taken well here.

Anyway, it turns out that the ladies from Mali were also feeling a bit out of their element too. It was a communication issue between us. Fortunately, they speak French, and I am able to remember quite a bit, so we have had several good conversations the last couple of days.

Jan Rutkowski was my French teacher in high school, and I am extra thankful to her for her years of devotion to patiently teaching silly-acting students like me and giving us a love for another language. Teachers of all subjects - take heart! Your students are paying better attention than you think. :)

We left early last night, as there was a somewhat serious time of sharing what God has done in lives, and although we wanted to stay, it was best to leave with the tired kiddos and try to get them to bed more peacefully than the night before. It went beautifully, except after they were in bed, the rest of our group returned and there were a couple of very loud points where our kids woke up very disoriented and upset. Not a restful night for anyone.

Len and I both woke up sick this morning with some digestive/stomach problem, and Len spent the morning resting in the room while I took the kids to eat and to our friends' house. Some friends gave us cipro and Len took some and with the rest feels better. Jackie Kwamy was very kind to play with the kids while I experience the prayer mosaic, with several stations and exercises involving praying for each African country, our staff, praying for their challenges and praising God for His goodness. These African YL staff want so much to be leaders of leaders - to develop leadership within Africa that will continue for generations and allow their respective countries to move past old troubles.

I was talking to a Kenyan staff leader whose house was marked for violence during the last election there. He told me how he fled to a friend's house, someone who was from the tribe his tribe was warring with. His friends warned him of ambush but his trust in the friend turned out to be well founded, and he was safe. After the danger had passed, he returned home and continues his work there. He was telling me that he gets frustrated that Americans seem to think all of Africa is primitive - and acknowledged that there is much poverty in Africa - but there is a middle and upper class in Africa as well, and they are very much like us except for their physical location. I can assure you from meeting these friends from all over Africa this week that they are in many ways far beyond us in faith and wisdom and perseverance.

He also told me about his two trips to the United States, how his family and friends begged him to not return. Their perception of the United States is colored by American television shows and they believe that being here automatically means great prosperity.

I spent the last two hours packing for the next leg of our trip, to Iringa and then on to our safari. Len took the kids to the hammock to swing them for a nap - I hope he's having success! Today we have been fasting and praying for Africa and Young Life, for our leaders and future leaders, for kids and families to know God's peace that passes understanding. For God's wisdom and grace and strength that is so much bigger than us.

Off to check on the kids and get ready for the formal banquet tonight. It is our last day with the volunteer African staff and I am so sad to see them go - I would need weeks to talk to each of them and it is challenging to balance time with the kids and time with our new friends. Hakuna matada!

1 comment:

  1. Mon francais est *rusty*. J'aime votre blog! J'espere que vous avais une safari tres magnifique!

    ReplyDelete