Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's Calendar Fish

The kids' big pocket calendar has fat, happy green fish dates in it. And yes, we are still here. Ruby checked the weather this morning and chose cloudy, cold, rainy, windy, sunny and snow for the weather pocket. I couldn't really correct her...all of those things were true here today. While we don't have tickets yet, March looks like the month we will begin life in beautiful Africa.

Calendar fish signify a later date than I thought we would be here, but really I am thankful to have experienced this snow; heck, we even managed to travel to Minnesota and Colorado this winter during their record snowfalls and low temperatures. When we dropped the kids off with our dear friends in Minneapolis after New Year's, it was -26 degrees there. I suspect we will look back on colder weather fondly in the next few months.

March 19 Len leaves his office here for the last time. We'll let you know when tickets are purchased. Hoping to spend Easter in Dar...a new beginning!

Through all the packing, moving, moving, packing, packing, unpacking, repacking, sorting and packing, one thing has been crystal clear: that this is what God wants us to be doing right now. To be honest, I'm a little freaked out right now. We've been planning this for so long that being confronted with the actual move is a little shocking. But God has brought us this far in His will, and I know he isn't going to leave us now.

Two questions I've often had for God are, 'Who are you?' and 'What do you want from me?'

Sometimes they are asked as you would ask someone breaking into your house, with force and fear. Today, I ask them with wonder and a patient heart. The journey through sailboat dates, autumn leaf dates (which in Dar will just be a memory), and snowman and heart dates will be challenging, but I am sure we will be better people and better God-followers a year from now because of it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Laura, I'm loving this post! And missing you!!!! Praying that your last-minute stuff is all falling into place. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete