Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tickets! Joy! Tears!

With much joy and a little bit of terror I share with you our anticipated date of departure: Saturday, April 3. Yes, the day before Easter. Yes, the day before Ruby's fifth anniversary. New beginnings all over the place like bugs on the grille of my minivan (which, by the way, is for sale).

We're mowing down new beginnings here on the farm.

With these dated plane tickets come a lot of realizations. Goodbyes are stinging more. We've been through so many states saying goodbyes these last months, and tears are starting to flow ever more freely as we mourn the comfort of knowing our friends and family here are just a call/flight/drive away. And yet, God-willing, in 25 days we will begin to find treasure God has for us on another continent, while thankfully employing technology to remain in relationships here.

One sigh of relief for me is that packing WILL come to an end. If we lived here in perpetuity, I am convinced that I would never stop pulling items out to replace them with others. Toothbrush holder or extra pillowcases? Belt or soap dish? Looking at every item and asking myself if it can be sewn or made in Dar, and do I like this enough to move it across the ocean? Do I like it too much to lose it? Sliding little comfort items like disposable diapers (yes, my cloth diapering comrades, I am taking a few!:) and sanitizing hand wipe packets down in the cracks between bins and tubs. Yes, I am looking forward to the end of packing!

We are blessed beyond our wildest dreams with this opportunity. Len and I have prayed consistently over the years that God would not let us become complacent in our faith life, and He has been faithful to keep us from getting too comfortable, while blessing our socks off.

The amazing people we have the privilege to call 'friend' are beyond what we deserve - we know that! Please continue to let us know how we can pray for you, and we covet your prayers as well. Each of our stories has yet to be finished...let's continue to support and encourage each other!

After tickets, joy and tears there IS a little bit of terror in my mind as I think about having to turn in all my library books, hug my mom goodbye (for a year at least) and learn a new language at age 38. What if I didn't bring enough gluten free flour for Ruby? Will I know how to ask our new landlord questions without totally offending her? These thoughts and so many more are what cause me to strike deep stretching poses in awkward places throughout the day.

The joy is not going away; the tickets are hopefully good through April 4. The tears (of happiness as well as grief) and terror (in small doses) and time we have left here are going to rotate continuously for the forseeable future. Feel free to jump in with me. :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm really, really excited for you guys & encouraged by the steps you've taken to get you to this point. Make sure you give hugs to Steve & Dyan for us when you get there.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! WOW! WOW!!!! So excited for you guys and can't wait to follow your journey in Tanzania! Yes, do give Steve and Dyan (and their kiddos) hugs for us! Hum....kind of sad to think we won't be there to welcome you off the plane and do preschool coop, and all the other things we imagined and looked forward to. :( Excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize that you continued blogging after you came back from your summer trip to Tanzania. Now I have like 8 months worth of your blogging to catch up on!

    But please, please do continue with the updates when you're there. Your writing is beautiful. And I can't wait to see your beautiful family in the beautiful photos you'll take (my Canon Rebel is still better than your Nikon :P

    - Nhia

    Thinking of you all and praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete