Forget that these have neither butter nor pecans in them. They leave you with the feeling that you've just had the finest buttered pecans known to man. Although I don't know anyone who has eaten buttered pecans. They just have that rich taste and aftertaste that tummies everywhere long for - a digestive warm fuzzy if there ever was one. I had to test several of these before naming exactly what the joy in my belly was.
For the gluten-free, casein-free crowd, the recipe below is fine. For those of you not constrained by dietary issues, you may substitute butter and regular Rice Krispies, which will cut down on cost, and I suspect the gluten in the cereal might also help hold them together.
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 C gfcf margarine or pure ghee
1/2 lb dates, finely cut (for the gf crowd, Ener-g has a packaged, pre-chopped version that is nice)
1 1/2 C crisp rice cereal; I used Koala Krisp, a gfcf item I brought to Africa)
1/2 C nuts, finely chopped (think powder for maximum holding power and kid-friendliness); I used cashews
1 t. vanilla
2 C finely shredded coconut (called coconut powder here), unsulphured
Combine eggs, margarine and dates in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Bring to boil and boil for two minutes.
Remove from heat and add cereal, nuts and vanilla. Stir until well mixed.
Allow to cool and shape into little balls about 1" in diameter (depending on ingredients, this might take a bit of squishing) and roll in coconut.
These are high in protein and are a great no-sugar-added lunchbox staple or candy. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment